Choosing the right caterer that will work with your price range and the style and of your wedding is crucial. Of course great good always contributes to the success of an event, but there are other things to consider as well. Here are 8 tips to help you choose a wedding menu and style to match your big day!
- Set a tone. It can be difficult to choose between a sit down dinner or passed hors d’oeuvres, and deciding on the mood of your reception will influence your decision. For a more serious, elegant event, opt for a sit down meal. If you would prefer to have a slightly more casual evening, allow your guests the mobility of choosing from a wide variety passed hors d’oeuvres as they dance the night away with the uber trendy “cocktail style” reception.
- Choose seasonal menu options. Not only will this ease the burden on your budget, but it will also vastly improve the flavor and quality of your menu.
- Impress your guests. If you are going a traditional route with your menu, make sure to include one appetizer or dish that is unique – you want your guests to remember your wedding dinner as being special.
- Presentation and serving is key. Don’t serve any “bite size” items that are actually large and awkward to eat. You want your guests to feel comfortable and at ease as they mingle with each other – not embarrassed as they try to fit a massive piece of sushi into their mouth in one bite. Choosing the right caterer will ensure that dishes are both beautifully and creatively displayed, yet practical to eat.
- Create a budget, and stick to it. Don’t leave yourself with post-wedding blues after splurging on unnecessary items. A good caterer is essential for providing the expertise for how to stretch a tight budget while maintaining presentation and quality.
- Consider allergies and eating preferences. While you want your menu to be unique, remember that not all guests are adventurous eaters and some may be gluten-free, lactose-intolerant or vegetarian. Make sure if you’re opting for a sit down dinner that there is a hearty vegetarian entrée option.
- Try a dessert bar. Even if you have a sit down meal, a themed dessert bar is a cute and fun twist on the normal slice of cake option. You could opt for a milkshake bar with different flavors, crepe bar, or a make-it-yourself cookie bar with cute take-out boxes for each guest to fill.
- Check out the already created menu options, or make your own. At Sweet Basil Catering we pride ourselves on creative, seasonal wedding menu options – but we are also completely open to ideas or favorite recipes from you! Open communication is best for creating a menu that perfectly matches your wedding’s theme.